by Horst Zoeller, 1996 - 2017, 63rd Edition, 8 December 2017

Fahrzeug Motorenwerke GmbH

Founded:
15th November 1935 through buyout of the machine workshops
from
Linke Hofmann Busch Werke

Main Business:
Serial production of stationary and truck engines

Management Positions:
Rubin, Georg - technical director until 1945
Koger, Emil - assistant technical director
Spott, Werner - financial director

Facilities:
Breslau - till January 1945
Warsaw URSUS facilities - since October 1939 to September 1944
Pruszkow Engine Facilities - since October 1939 to September 1944
Schoenebeck - since January 1945


Company Development:

The Fahrzeug- und Motoren-Werke GmbH was founded in November 1935, when Junkers aquired the mechanical workshops of Linke Hofmann Busch Werke in Breslau. The major product of the company was the serial production of heavy trucks (Ruebezahl and Boxer), as well as compressors, diesel engines and other engine products.



In 1937 a departement for special trucks was built up. In this departement a series of military transport trucks were developed, i.e. the Sonder-Kraftfahrzeug Sd.Kfz 9 of 1938.

In October 1939 the Polish URSUS facilities and the engine facilities at Pruszkow were added to Famo. On 5th May 1942 both companies were integrated into the Warschauer Vereinigten Maschinenfabriken GmbH (Waverma). Shortly before in January 1942 the Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke A.G. were forced by the Reichsluftfahrtministerium to sell their owner shares of Famo to the Bank der deutschen Luftfahrt. Since then Famo did not longer belong to the Junkers consortium.

When the Soviets reached Warsaw in autumn 1944, the Warsaw facilities were transfered to Breslau. But already on 7th December 1944 also the Breslau facilities had to be moved to the West. In January 1945 a new facility was set up at Schoenebeck near Dessau.

While the Warsaw and Breslau facilities of Famo were mostly destroyed, the Schoenebeck facilities were almost ok. In January 1946 Famo was restarted as Fahrzeug- und Apparatebau Schoenebeck with the support of the Soviet forces in the former facilities of Sommer + Co. at Schoenebeck. In 1948 the company was renamed as Fahrzeugwerke Schoenebeck IFA. The company exists still today as part of the Doppstadt-Group.

Further Reading:Die Breslauer Firmen FAMO und Linke-Hofmann - lots of infos about Famo

 

 

introduced Aug 1996, transfered Dec 2017
http://hugojunkers.bplaced.net/
contents last updated 20 Nov 2004