Junkers Jumo 224
The Jumo 224 was a further development of the Jumo 223 based on four Jumo 207B-3 engines. Its developement was started in 1943. It was much larger then the Jumo 223 and had an increased capacity. But already in late 1943 the developement of this engine had to be stopped as the RLM gave highest priority to the jet engine developements. Only little activities continued on the Jumo 224 design. In November 1944 the RLM ordered five prototype engines of the Jumo 224. At the end of WWII the Jumo 224 was ready for static tests.
The Russians continued the Jumo 224 developement after WWII at Dessau since March 1946. While Baade was responsible for the postwar airframe designs at Junkers, Gerlach took over responsibility for the Junkers engine designs. As all documentation of the Jumo 224 was burnt at the end of the war, Gerlach initially started the reverse reengineering of the Jumo 224. In September 1946 Gerlach and his Team were transfered from Dessau to Tuschino near Moscow, where the Jumo 224 design work continued at Factory No. 500 under Management of Cladimier Yakolew. The engine now was designated as M224. In Summer 1948 all activities on the M224 were stopped and the Project was abandoned by the Soviets.
|Engine Designator||year||Cyl.||Bore |
|T/O Power |
|Cruise Power |
|RPM. ||Fuel |
Aircraft Types equipped with Jumo 224:
The Jumo 224 did not reach test status. Only some static tests may be performed.
The engine was intended for the BV238 and the Dornier Do214
- OldMachinePress.com - Jumo 224 Excellent Story, Drawings
introduced Nov 1996, transfered Aug 2017
contents last updated 28 Dec 2003