Junkers Jumo 223
The Jumo 223 was a diesel engine which was built from four two stroke diesel Jumo 207engines arranged in a box form with four crankshafts. It was watercooled. The development started in 1936 by Johannes Gasterstaedt as Junkers P2000, When Gasterstaedt died in 1937, Manfred Gerlach took over the design work. In April 1938 the P2000 was redesignated as Jumo 223. By the end of 1939 the first Jumo 223 was finished. The first run took place in January 1940 in Dessau.
By October 1942 a total of six engines were completed, while two were under construction. With the completion of the eighth engine in February 1943 the Jumo 223 Programme was stopped in advance of the further developed Jumo 224.
In March 1946 one of the eight Jumo 223 prototypes were testran at Dessau. The Soviets decided to continue the Jumo 224 development, but at least one Jumo 223 engine was moved to Tuschino to State Factory 500 for further Research in 1946.
Engine Designator year Cyl. Bore
Jumo 223 1939 24 80 2x120 29,0 17:1 2,370 1,367 1,260 1400 1618 n.a. 4400 237,9
introduced Nov 1996, transfered Aug 2017
contents last updated 28 Dec 2003