Junkers W33 / W34 Survivors
SNo. 1540, RNo. DK+L1
SNo. ukn, RNo. ukn.
SNo. 2504, RNo. D-1167, "Bremen"
This is the original aircraft BREMEN, which performed the first transatlantic flight from Europe to North America. After the successfull first crossing of the North Atlantic with Koehl, von Huenefeld and Fitzgerald the aircraft was returned to Europe by ship, where it should be displays at the Deutsches Museum at Munich. But instead, the aircraft was transfered back to New York by ship in summer 1929 where it was displayed at the Grand Central Station and the Museum of Peaceful Arts. In 1930 the aircraft was moved to the Smithonian Museum at Washington. Henry Ford bought the aircraft in 1938 and transfered it to the Henry Ford Museum at Dearborn, Detroit, where it was exhibited until 1996.
On April 21st, 1997 the aircraft was transfered back to Germany. This operation was initiated by Volker Schmidt at Bremen. The aircraft is now located at Bremen Airport, where the aircraft is currently restaurated at Lufthansa's Verkehrsfliegerschule. An exibit hall was built at the airport and was opened in June 1998 early enough for the celebrations of the 70th anniversary of the transatlantic flight of the Bremen. It is the intension too keep the aircraft in Germany for a period of up to 2003 before it will return to its original owner, the Henry Ford Museum at Dearborn, Detroit.
SNo. ukn, RNo. ukn
This aircraft crashed 26 February 1942 at Sletthoea Vingelen in Norway. All three poeple on board survived the crash and were rescued by Norwegians. The aircraft remained at its crashsite till today. Some major components, i.e. a complete wing are still at the crashsite.
SNo. 2835, RNo. SE-BYA
A W34 from the Swedish production line of AB Flygindustri is to be seen at the Arlanda Airport. The aircraft on display is c/n 2835 which was equipped with a Mercury VIa engine. The aircraft first served with Flygvapnet as Fv6 Later it was transfered to the Safe and Rescue Units as SE-BYA. It remained in service until 1961 and was then transfered to the museum. Currently the museum is closed for the public. The future developement is unclear.
SNo. 2718, RNo. CF-ATF
A total of nine W34's were sold to Canadian Airways in 1932. Later those aircraft were transfered to Canadian Pacific Airlines. A single aircraft CF-ATF was further sold to Central B.C. airlines, Pacific Western and PacificWings. This aircraft was retired as the last operational W34 in July 1961. Later it was moved to the National Aeronautical Collection at Rockcliffe in Canada. From time to time the aircraft is modified from skies to floaters. One wing is missed.
SNo. 2710, RNo. CF-AQV
At the Western Canada Aviation Museum parts of a Junkers W34 are available. These parts belonged to CF-AQV, which was delivered to Oaks Airways in 1931. It was transfered to Canadian Airways in April 1935 and crashed in September 1939.
SNo. 2823, RNo. 407
One of the military W34 versions, a K43 is still surviving at Columbia. This aircraft is on display at the MUSEO FUERZA AEREA COLOMBIANA at Bogota. It has the tailsign 407 and is displayed in FAC-livery.
SNo. NIL, RNo. D-1925
The D-1925 is on display at the Air Force Association Museum at Bull Creek in Australia. This aircraft is not an original W33, but a 1:1 rebuilt of 1986 made for an ABC Network documentation "Flight into Hell" about the 1932 Europe to Australia flight of Bertram and Klausmann performed with the D-1925. The replicate is a non-flying model with a small Jaguar engine, which allowed some movements of the seaplane, while floating. A 1:4 model was used for flying scenes in the film. After the filming was finished, the replica was moved to the RAAF Museum. In 1996 it was used again for filming the story of Bertram by the German television.
The original D-1925 was destroyed during the Australia flight, when an emergency landing was performed at the Australian coast site. It took 40 days to rescue Bertram and Klausmann from the Australian desert after this emergency landing. The original aircraft was delivered to Deutsche Luft Hansa in July 1930 and was used in service until February 1931.
SNo. 2575, RNo. VH-UIW
At the Catholic Mission of Alexishafen a Junkers W33 was parked in derelicted condition for several years. In the meantime this aircraft was removed by the National Museum Port Moresby in 1986 and it is currently under restauration at the airport of Lae.
It seems, as if this aircraft is VH-UIW "Lady Lettie", which was delivered to Taylor and Bond in 1930 and shortly afterwards went to Pacific Aerial Transport Ltd. In 1932 this aircraft crashed at Alexishafen and was later used as a spares aircraft for another Junkers F13 at Alexishafen.
Some sources mention this aircraft also as VH-UKW "Danip", but this is not ensured. Also there are rumours about a G31 (VH-UOW), which should be at Alexishafen. However, these hints seemed to be wrong. So they were removed from the list here. The above photo was taken at the end of 70s to early 80s
introduced Nov 1996, transfered Jun 2017
contents last updated 15 Feb 2003