Dr. Madelung, Georg
Georg Madelung worked for the aircraft departement of DVL before WWI. In August 1914 he was transfered to IDFLIEG in the rank of an Oberstleutnant. He was sent to Dessau to observe the Junkers aircraft developement and to influence the work with the wishes of the IDFLIEG. Madelung took major influence upon the developement of the J.4 during 1917. Later Madelung flew for the Jasta33 until 1918
In September 1919 Madelung joint the Junkers Research Institute. He was engaged in the static and dynamic research of corrugated duralumin metals and later also joint the construction program of a Junkers large scale aircraft. In 1921 Madelung went to the U.S.A. and joint Jucoram, the Junkers sales organisation in the U.S.A. When Madelung left Junkers, he worked for Glenn Curtiss and Larry Bell. In 1925 he returned to Germany and became manager of the aircraft departement of the DVL. In 1929 he was appointed as member of the board of directors of the DVL. Later Madelung became professor at the Flight Technical Institute of TH Stuttgart. After WWII he settled the "Forschungsanstalt Graf Zeppelin" in Stuttgart.
Dr. Mader, Otto
1909 – 1916 Junkers Experimental Laboratories, Aachen (since 1915 Research Institute, Dessau)
1915 - ???? Junkers + Co. (Techn. Director)
1918 - ???? JFA Supervisory Board
1934 - 1944 JFM Board of Directors
Dr. Mader studied mechanical engineering at the University of Munich. In 1903 he worked for the Maschinenbau Gesellschaft at Munich and in 1905 he went to Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nuremburg (MAN).
He joint the Versuchsanstalt Prof. Junkers at Aachen in October 1909 as a private assistent. In 1915 he became the manager of the Forschungsanstalt Prof. Junkers at Dessau. Together with Hans Steudel he became technical director of Junkers & Co during WW I. He started initial studies for the foundation of Junkers aircraft designs. After WWI he was appointed as a member of the supervisory board of Junkers Flugzeugwerke and Junkers Luftverkehr. After the death of Otto Reuter, Otto Mader continued the Junkers development work together with Ernst Zindel in 1922. He was engaged in the development of the T19, A20 and for the Russian designs of the T21 and T23 in 1923. In 1925/26 he also designed the further improved a25 and A35. Later Otto Mader became the managing director of the Junkers Forschungsanstalt.
In April 1927 Mader left Junkers for a short while to join the Technical University of Munich as a professor of technical mechanics. But already in August 1928 Mader returned to Dessau and again he took over the managment position of the Forschungsanstalt. His major focus at this time was the engine developement. In July 1934 Otto Mader was offically appointed as a member of the board of directors of JFM.
von Malinkrodt, Friedrich
eutnant Friedrich von Mallinkrodt was the first man to fly a Junkers aircraft in 1915. On December 12th, 1915 Mallinkrodt, an officer of the Flying Reserve, flew first the Junkers J.1 at the airport of Doberitz near Berlin. At this time Junkers did not own any airfield at Dessau. Also Junkers & Co. did not have any test pilots. Therefore the German Luftwaffe had to perform this first flight.
Joachim Matthies was one of the IFM test pilots during WWII. On 05.06.1942 he flew first the Junkers Ju252 airliner. It is reported, that Matthies crashed with one of the Ju248 Prototypes at Dessau in June 1946. Matthies should have been killed during this accident
Dr. Mayer, Info
Dr. Ingo Mayer studied termodynamics at the Technical Highschool of Bruenn from 1917 to 1922 and continued with his dissertation between 1922 to 1928. He joint the Junkers Kaloriferwerke in 1928 as a trial engineer. In 1939 he became director of the Kaloriferwerk in Dessau.
In 1945 Mayer left Dessau and went to the Ruhrgebiet, where he joint Schemabau. At Schemabau most patents and technologies of the Kaloriferwerk were gathered and continued. In 1954 Mayer founded his own company.
Josef Mayer became member of the supervisory board of the newly founded Junkers Flugzeug- und Motorenwerke AG in May 1937. He represented the German government as IFM shareholer and followed Dr. Wolfgang Hoefeld, who left the supervisory board at this time
1910 - 1921 Junkers Experimenta Laboratories
1922 - 1926 Junkes Main Office (Manager)
1923 - 1926 TREU Supervisory Board (on behalve of Bayerischer Luft Lloyd)
1926 - 1935 A.B. Flygindustri (Managing Director)
1941 - 1945 Hugo Junkers Werke GmbH Munich
Hermann Mierzinsky studied ship constructions at Hannover and Berlin. In 1910 he joint the commercial utilization office of Prof. Junkers. and worked at the Versuchsanstalt Prof. Junkers at Aachen since 1911 in the field of ship engine design. Since 1922 Mierzinsky became manager of the Junkers Hauptburo at Dessau. In 1923 he became member of the supervisory board of TREU on behalve of Bayerischer Luft Lloyd. In 1926 Mierzinsky went to Malmo and joint A.B. Flygindustri. In 1930 he succeeded Friedrich Treitschke as the head of the A.B. Flygindustri at Limhamn and kept this position until 1935, when AFI was dissolved. In 1935 he supported Therese Junkers, who still held the Munich facilities of the former Junkers empire. In 1937 Mierzinsky went to Bremen and became chief manager of the Weser Flugzeugbau GmbH at Einswarden. In 1941 Mierzinsky again took over the management of the Hugo Junkers Werke GmbH at Munich, which he left in September 1945.
Erhard Milch belonged to the Sachsenberg Geschwader during WWI. In Danzig he was engaged in the foundation of Lloyd Ostflug together with Sachsenberg. In 1923 he became managing director of the successor of Lloyd Ostflug, the Danziger Luftpost, which ceased operations in 1926. Later Milch joint the Junkers Luftverkehr and became the managing director in October 1925, after Gotthard Sachsenberg was forced to leave his chair. Milch prepared the merger of Junkers Luftverkehr and Deutscher Aero Lloyd and became the first managing director of the newly formed Luft Hansa in January 1926.
In January 1933 Milch joint the Reichsluftfahrtministerium and became Gorings secretary. In this position he initiated the political attacks against Junkers, which finally forced Junkers to leave Dessau.
Milch was also responsible for the further development of Junkers Flugzeugwerke as the Reichs major war industry facility. During WWII Milch achieved the rank of a Field Marshall and became the second man following Goering. After WWII Milch was accused for treating human rights during the war. He was found guilty and send to jail for the rest of his life. In 1954 he was released and died in 1972 at Dusseldorf.
von Miller, Oskar
Oskar von Miller was mostly engaged in the field of electrical power generation. In 1894 he founded the Isarwerke at Munich. Miller is also best known for his foundation of the Deutsches Museum at Munich in 1903, which today is Germany's largest technical exhibition.
In 1923 von Miller became member of the Supervisory Board of the Transeuropa Union and in 1925 he became chairman of this board.
August Muehlen was a director at IFA. On December, 1st 1931 he took over the financial management of IFA, following disputes between Hugo Junkers and the IFA management board. During these disputes Junkers released the complete IFA management. Muehlen left the board after Hugo Junkers was forced to retire from Junkers. But he returned to IFM in July 1936 as a member of the board of IFM directors. After WWII Muehlen was also engaged in the refoundation of IFM.
Adolf Mueller was the leading head of the jet developement group at the Flight Technical Institute of Berlin under the leadership of Prof. Wagner. Mueller and his group followed Wagner in 1936 and joint the Junkers Flugzeugwerke. Mueller and his group were placed at the Magdeburger Werkzeugmaschinenfabrik, which had been taken over by Junkers Flugzeugwerke and started the developement of the first Junkers jet engine. When the Magdeburg offices were transfered to Dessau, Mueller left Junkers Flugzeugwerke and went to Heinkel.
Johannes Mueller was president of the chamber of commerce of Dessau during the 30s. In this function he was also engaged in the pushout of Junkers out of his company. He became a member of the board of directors of IFA in December 1933, but he left this position already in 1934, when he became member of the supervisory board of IFA on June, 26th 1934. He left this supervisory position in July 1936, when IFA was transfered into IFM.
Rudolf Mueller joint Junkers + Co. in April 1914 for mechanical educations. In December 1917 he joint the financial office of Junkers-Fokker-Flugzeugwerke AG. In 1919 he started studies at the Economic Highschool of Berlin. In May 1926 he became the general manager of all financial ressorts of the Junkerswerke. He also was member of the IFA board of directors and procurist of IFA during the 20s. In December 1931 he was released by Hugo Junkers, together with other directors after disputes with Junkers. Rudolf Mueller later became general manager of the Leichtflugzeug Klemm GmbH.
( * 30 Aug 1898 - )
1924 - 1945 JFM Construction Office (during WWII Latecore Toulouse)
1946 - 1950 OKB-I Podberesje
Muttray studied Aviation Engineering at the Technical Highschool of Dresden before WWI. He joined Junkers Flugzeugwerke during 1924. He started his work on the design of the Junkers G23. Muttray was development engineer of IFM during the late 30s and a specialist in pressured cabins. He worked on the Ju49, EF61 and in the development of the high altitude bomber version of the Junkers Ju86P, especially the pressured cabin and the aerodynamic features. Later Muttray was responsible for the Junkers Ju488 development at Dessau and at Latecore in Toulouse
After WWII Muttray was sent to OKB-I at Podberesje, but already returned from Russia in 1950. In 1951 Muttray was arrested by the SMAD and juged to five years of forced labourship in the USSR. He returned in 1956.
Willy Neuenhofen was one of the Junkers' pilots in the 20s. He joint Junkers in 1921. On 26.05.1929 he achieved a new altitude record on board a Junkers W34be D-1119 of 12739 metres, which he reached after 45 minutes climb. Neuenhofen was also responsible for the test flights of the Junkers Ju60 and the Junkers Ju87 on 17.09.1935. Neuenhofen was killed during a test flight with Ju87V2 on 24.01.1936, when the twin tail of the Ju87 failed inflight
Today a plate at the Kleutscher Anlage in Dessau remembers for Willi Neuenhofen and Heinrich Kreft. This plate was issued by Neuenhofen's wife.
Dr. Neugebauer, Franz
Dr. Franz Neugebauer studied Jura before WWI and continued his studies for mechanical engineering at the Technical Highschool of Karlsruhe from 1919 to 1922. In 1923 he started his carreer at Lanz in Mannheim before he joint the Junkers Research Institute in 1924, where he was engaged in windchannel designs.
In 1934 he kept contact to Prof. Junkers, who was arrested in Munich Allach until Junkers died in 1935. Later Neugebauer emigrated to the U.S.A.
Herbert Noppeney started his education at the Engine Laboratories of Prof. Junkers at the TH Aachen in 1909. In 1911 Noppeney joint the Junkers Laboratories and is engaged in oil turbine designs. Since 1915 he worked at the Research Institute in Aachen, where he is also busy with wind channel designs. He left Junkers in 1920.
von Oechelhaeuser (jun.), Wilhelm
Wilhelm von Oechelhaeuser was the technical director of the Deutsche Continental Gasgesellschaft at Dessau. In October 1888 Hugo Junkers joint this company for his first job outside the university. Junkers and Oechelhaeuser later became partners and in 1890 they founded the Versuchsstation fur Gasmotoren at Dessau. Due to differences about the commercial success of Junkers developements, Oechelhaeuser and Junkers left each other in April 1893. Oechelhaeuser later was appointed Professor of thermo dynamics and engines at the technical high school of Danzig (Gdansk) and finally he was appointed headmaster of this university until his death in 1923
Erich Offermann performed several test flights with the Reissner Ente in 1912 at Aachen. After WWI he became technical director of the DLR. In November 1919 he joint the Berlin office of Junkers. In 1925 he left Junkers and in 1929 he was appointed as the German representative at the Gugenheim Fonds.
introduced Mar 2004, transfered 14 Feb 2018
contents last updated 14 Feb 2018